Project & Conservation Goals
- Protect and enhance areas of natural, cultural and historical significance.
- Promote and provide opportunity for the reintroduction of native fauna and flora.
- To ensure discharges of contaminants or water to water, or discharges to land where the contaminant may enter water, including spills of hazardous substances, meet environmental and cultural standards.
- To decrease sedimentation which results from accelerated erosion on land, and activities in the beds of streams, that discharge contaminants or result in sedimentation.
- To create, by working with landowners, a suitable riparian vegetation margin to stabilise the margins of surface waterbodies and filter surface run-off and coastal margins.
- To maintain Matakana Islands presence as the harbours geographical guardian and reason for the harbours existence.
- To recognise Tauranga Harbours importance to the environmental, social and economic well-being of all New Zealanders.
- To seek to retain the traditional values of Matakana Islands character and community.
- To provide effective planning, monitoring and information on the resources and activities on Matakana Island and its coastline.
- To seek to provide educational, training and employment opportunities to the tangata whenua of Matakana Island.
- To engage landowners on Matakana Island, providing motivation and encouragement to conserve and enhance biodiversity on Matakana Island.